5/28/08

Serving, Saving & Giving


Today, we come to, yet another, thread in Mrs. P31's sewing kit. Take heart though, dear sewing-impaired sister (like me!!)...as we have already learned, Mrs. P31's specific skills are not what we are to mimic! There is MUCH more in her life than meets the eye! By the power of the Holy Spirit living within believers in Christ, we can and ought to mimic Mrs. P31's rarity. What is it that makes her 'excellent', 'virtuous'? It is Jesus, every time!! Amen?


Let's see what character trait of His we find in Mrs. P31 today..."She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies (literally 'gives') belts to the tradesmen." Proverbs 31:24


Three examples of her creativity stood out to me as I unwrapped this passage before the Lord.

1) She utilizes her God-given creativity and uses the best material to do so (linen). What is YOUR God-given creativity or talent? How can you best use it to bring glory to the Lord and minister to your family?


I have a dear friend who makes beautiful scrapbooks for her children. She uses beautiful material and creates pages and books that glorify God and secure memories for her family. You can find her blog here.


2) Mrs.P31 displays a creative outlet to make money for her family. Whether you work out of the home or not, as the woman of the home you and I have the ability to creatively make our family money by saving it! Coupons, bargain shopping and sales are great ways for us to make wise money choices for our families.


My favorite coupon site I have recently started benefiting from is coupons.com...I bet our Mrs.P clips and saves coupons, don't you?!


3) Mrs. P31's final creative display of wisdom is found in her giving! She is not just a weekly tither at her church...she displays "Jesus-like" behavior in her serving the needy in verse 20 and here in verse 24, she 'gives' or 'supplies' tradesmen with a beautiful belts they would use to gather the long, flowing garments of her day. How can you and I be creative in our giving and serving? How can we use our God-given gifts to minister to others?


Can you cook? Cook for a neighbor. Can you sew? Sew a scarf for the postman. Can you read?? Offer to care for a friend's child and read to them...the Lord has been showing me how very practical He is and expects me to be! He is just as glorified in my rocking a friend's baby or in making a meal for a neighbor as when I do something 'big' (in my book) for Him...maybe more so!!


Let's ask Him to show us where we can creatively serve, save and give for HIS glory alone!