5/28/08

Girding Up!

As we step a bit deeper into the life of Mrs. Proverbs 31, I pray we would continue to allow the Word of the Lord to change us...I know I need it!!

At first glance I thought it was merely a verse on exercise..."She girds herself with strength, And makes her arms strong." (Proverbs 31:17 NASB)

The original wording draws an obvious distinction between the two halves of the verse. The first part speaks of her inner person, her inner strength, her thoughts and emotions. The second part speaks of her outer person, her physical strength (yes, exercise!)

We are to strengthen our physical bodies. According to 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 believers are a temple of the Lord, thus we must respect and care for our bodies as such! Mrs. P31's daily life required the physical strength of her arms and body. But what made her rare and excellent (Proverbs 31:10) was the strength with which she surrounded herself. We can know by the context, it was the strength of the Lord!

The original word translated 'gird' is the word 'hagar' meaning to encircle or fasten as with a belt for battle; to surround oneself; to prepare for action.Mrs. P31 encircles and surrounds herself with God's strength. As the AMP Bible puts it she girded herself with 'spiritual, mental and physical fitness for her God-given tasks.' Her God-given not self-appointed tasks!

Ephesians 6:10 tells born-again believers in the Lord Jesus, to be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. How? Ephesians goes on to tell us by putting on the whole armor of God!!

Mrs. P31 more likely wore armor than pearls! (spiritually speaking!!)

According to Psalm 84:5-7, the pilgrims traveling to Jerusalem went from strength to strength. Each new day God supplied their needed strength. As you and I travel to our heavenly Jerusalem, we can trust God to supply our daily needed strength!

The Lord used 1 Peter 4:11, "...whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies...", to show me He gives me enough strength to serve in the capacity HE has called me to serve.

So if I am weary and worn out, it is not because He is not faithful, but rather because I am using my portion of today's strength in the wrong, not God-appointed way! We are to pour ourselves out as a drink offering to Him (Philippians 2:17), but not grow weary in doing good (the good He calls us to!).

Isaiah 40:29-31 gives us a beautiful promise... it promises you and me that "those who wait on the Lord, will gain new strength"!!

What is it to wait or hope expectantly in the Lord?
* listening when you'd rather speak (or yell!)
* submitting or yielding your right to be right
* seeing others through Christ's eyes

It does not means stop moving or working or doing, but rather don't act on impulse!! (ouch!)

What do you need to gird yourself with God's strength for today? What is today's need? Write it out and take it to Jesus, He alone can supply it. Seek today's portion of strength, then use it as HE directs!!

Thank you , Father, that you are my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in you, and I am helped; therefore my heart rejoices, and with my song today I thank you! Thank you, father, that you are the strength of all your daughters and a saving defense to each one. be our shepherd today, Father, and carry each one of us by your strength. (Psalm 28: 7-8). AMEN.